What should I do if I'm not getting my rights?

Change low graphic options | English | 中文 | Русский | Español | Skip content to navigation

Page context: HomeTopicsYour RightsILO Maritime Labour Convention > What should I do if I'm not getting my rights?

You can make a complaint on board to a senior officer, the captain or the shipowner, or the flag state.

If the problem is with a shipowner, you can also raise this with the flag state or the port state.
If you make a complaint on board, you have the right to be accompanied by a representative or a fellow seafarer – and not to be victimised for making a complaint.

You can also make a complaint to a port state control (PSC) officer/labour inspector.

You don’t have to make the complaint directly - someone else (such as an ITF inspector or a welfare worker) can make it for you.

Related documents:
Maritime Labour Convention 2006 (1099kb PDF)

Useful links:
The ITF is not responsible for the content of external internet sites
ILO’s MLC pages

MLC Ratifications

A Seafarers' Bill of Rights

Related pages:
ILO Maritime Labour Convention | Stand Up for Your Rights | Contact Us


Section home:

Other pages for Home:
About Us | Contact Us | Links | Resources | Site Help

Other pages for Topics:
Maritime News | Inside the Issues | FOCs | Look Up a Ship, Inspector or Union

Other pages for Your Rights:
Basic Rights Under ILO | Before You Board | Recruitment Scams | Crewing Agents | ITF Agreements | What Should My Wages be? | Equasis | Your Legal Rights | Stand Up for Your Rights | ITF Warlike and High Risk Areas

Full graphics version

ITF House, 49-60 Borough Road, London SE1 1DR | +44 20 7403 2733 | mail@itf.org.uk

Copyright © 2019 International Transport Workers' Federation